Class 156 PRM Modifications
ESG selected to produce the necessary installation designs
Porterbrook Leasing had a requirement to make its 9 class 156 Diesel Multiple Units (18 coaches) leased to Abellio Greater Anglia, compliant against the Technical Specification for Interoperability for Persons with Reduced Mobility (TSI PRM). The UK Government has set a date of 1st January 2020, by which time all trains in passenger operated services must be accessible to persons with reduced mobility.
ESG Rail was selected by Railcare to produce the necessary installation designs based on the following scope. Railcare were contracted to carry out the necessary refurbishment at the same time as they undertook the C6 overhaul on the units.
SCOPE OF DESIGN
- Modified seating layout to include Priority Seating
- Wheelchair space provision with retention
- Provision of ‘Call-for-Aid’ device (in wheelchair space and toilet cubicle)
- Removal of internal doors
- Installation of internal and external door sounders
- Floor plan design of contrasting colour scheme
- Installation of Passenger Information System (PIS) in all vehicles and cabs
- Installation of Universally Accessible Toilet (UAT) and effluent retention tank (CET)
- PRM compliant handrails
- Specification for boarding ramp and stowage device
- Specification for full-coach PRM labels and notices
- Certification of modifications to TSI, through Railway Approvals Limited
- Comprehensive modifications pack, including written installation instructions.
- Detailed vehicle survey to confirm design requirements, with preliminary designs produced for each area.
- Designs developed into detailed drawings.
- ESG submitted final designs to the customer, together with a bill of material.
- On-site support during first installation.